This Policy describes the kinds of Personal Information we collect about you, why we collect it, how we use it, how we protect it, and under what circumstances we share it with third parties. This Policy also describes the decisions you can make about your Personal Information. You may require us to change, amend or delete the Personal Information that you have provided to us at any time.
We may change this Policy from time to time. If this Policy is changed we will post an updated version on the Website. We recommend that you check this Website periodically in order to review our current Policy. You can tell if this Policy has changed by checking the last update date that appears at the bottom of this Policy. Depending on the circumstances, we may also decide to send you a notice in other ways in our discretion, such as via email or other contact information you have provided that the Policy was changed.
The Policy governs CBC’s activities that are subject to the provisions of applicable privacy legislation, including the Personal Information Protection Act (Alberta).
Personal Information means information that identifies you as an individual (including, name, email address, residential address, telephone number . Personal Information also encompasses more sensitive information such as gender, age, family information, employer, donation and billing information, and any other data assigned to an individual). it does not include anonymous, aggregated or non-personal information or statistical data (i.e., information that cannot be associated with or tracked back to a specific individual).
Information We Collect
When you make a purchase or donation through our Website with your credit card, we collect your credit card information, your credit card billing address, and a mailing address where it is necessary to complete the sales transaction, but will not retain such information longer than necessary to complete the sale. We call this Personal Information “Sales Information”.
Using Information We Collect
We use the Personal Information you have provided to us in order to:
- Give you personalized access to the Website and Services;
- Respond to your requests and communicate with you;
- Verify references;
- Determine eligibility for Services;
- Establish, manage and terminate relations with stakeholders including members, volunteers, donors and suppliers;
- Protect against error, fraud, theft, damage and nuisance relating to CBC’s assets, operations or reputation;
- Ensure compliance with applicable law or regulatory requirements;
- Maintain and improve its service offerings to volunteers, donors and members;
- Address problems with, and improve, our website design and services and perform any other reasonable purpose required by CBC and to which an individual consents.
- We use the Sales Information in order to process and fulfill your order, send you e-mails to confirm your order status, and allow you to pay for your order.
We will not share your Personal Information in a personally identifiable form with any third party, except if, and to the extent necessary, in our good faith judgment, doing so is required to: complete your purchase; comply with laws or regulations; respond to a valid subpoena, order, or government request; CBC’s legal rights to defend against legal claims; investigate, detect, supress, prevent or take action regarding illegal or prohibited activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the reputation or physical safety of any person; or as otherwise required by law.
We may remove personal identifiers from your information and maintain and use it in aggregate form that may later be combined with other information to generate anonymous, aggregated statistical information. Such anonymous, group data may be shared on an aggregated basis with our partners, but we will not disclose your Personal Information unless we receive your express consent to do so or we are authorized by law.
We will retain your Personal Information only for a time and to the extent necessary for the purposes for which it was collected as described in this Policy and for reasonable backup, archival, audit, or other similar purposes.
If we have disclosed your Personal Information to a third party in accordance with this Policy, we will ensure that it is only retained by that third party for as long as is necessary for that third party to complete the purpose for which we provided it to them.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
CBC may disclose your Personal Information and/or Sales Information provided it is reasonably required in the following circumstances:
- If required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process, respond to claims, or to protect the rights, property CBC;
- When emergencies occur or where it is necessary to protect the safety of a person or group of persons;
- Where the information is publicly available;
- On a need to know basis with our affiliates or partners or agents acting on our behalf or with our financial, insurance, legal, accounting or other advisors that provide professional services to us;
- When required by a company or individual employed or engaged by us to perform functions on our behalf such as marketing, credit card processing, data processing or document retention. Any such disclosure of your personal information is made on a strictly confidential basis, and the information is to be used only for the purpose for which it was shared; and if we undergo a merger, consolidation, reorganisatio, liquidation or dissolution (including bankruptcy), or other transfer of all or a portion of any assets of CBC during steps in contemplation of such activities (e.g., negotiations and due diligence), we may share, disclose or transfer Personal Information or Sales Information to a new affiliate or other successor of CBC.
Your Decisions About Your Personal Information
At any time you can contact us to: stop receiving e-mails from us; review the Personal Information held by us in connection with your account; withdraw your consent for our use and disclosure of your Personal Information; request a list of third parties to which we may have provided your Personal Information; close your membership; and amend your Personal Information, where possible, by contacting us via the email address given on our Website.
If you contact us to do any of the things listed above, we may require you to provide sufficient Personal Information to allow us to identify you and tell you about the existence, use and disclosure of your Personal Information and this Personal Information will only be used for this purpose. If you refuse to provide us with the information we require or later contact us to withdraw your consent for us to use and disclose your personal information, we may no longer be able to provide you with our Services.
We take precautions to protect your Personal Information. Please note, that while we try to create a secure and reliable Website for users, the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to or from the Website, or via e-mail cannot be guaranteed.
We limit access to your Personal Information within CBC to individuals on a need-to-know basis.
We may disclose your Personal Information to third party service providers who are engaged by us to provide services to us or on our behalf.
Your Personal Information may be processed and/or stored outside of Canada. In such a case, CBC will take all measures reasonably required to ensure that your Personal Information is afforded the same level of protection as described in this Policy and applicable law. Despite that, and even if CBC undertakes measures to protect your Personal Information, when it is stored and/or processed in other jurisdictions, its disclosure may be allowed or required under other or additional circumstances pursuant to any foreign law in force in these jurisdictions and accordingly governmental authorities and other persons may be entitled to access Personal Information in situations other than the ones contemplated herein. By providing us with your information, you are allowing your Personal Information to be transferred outside of Canada.
Links to Other Sites
We use HubSpot’s HubBot on the Website, which is a chatbot that allows Website users to message us with queries and comments. If you consent to and use this feature, then the content of chat messages sent and received, including your email address if provided via the chat features, is transferred the HubSpot servers.Questions or Comments
If you have any questions or comments or wish to make a complaint about this Policy, please feel free to contact us by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Update: February 3, 2021